(image via Tumblr)
I love social media for so many reasons, one of the biggest being the way it allows us to keep updated with news and happenings. I personally use Twitter and Facebook to get the majority of my news over reading the paper or watching TV. I actually rarely have time in my day to sit down and watch the news, and much prefer the on-the-go method of getting updated via my iPhone.
That being said, I often find myself feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information being posted per second on Twitter and Facebook, and feel like I can never catch up. There are so many great articles and content being delivered in such a short amount of time, it can be hard to stay on top of every piece of news you wish to see.
So, I’ve created a few tips (as much for me as for you) to help you organize the content and get the most out of your social media experience.
1. #Hashtags - Follow the hashtags on Twitter of things that you’re interested in or current themes. Save your searches and this way you can easily follow the hashtag to stay updated.
2. Lists – Create lists of influential people, news publications or companies you are interested in on Twitter. This way, similarly to a hashtag search, you can easily access your top interests.
3. Favorites – When I find a tweet I’m interested in or want to revisit, I “favorite” it on Twitter, that way, if I’m in a rush or know I’d like to read the link later, I can easily find it amidst the thousands of tweets on my stream from the day.
4. Trustworthy Sources – Find a few news publications that produce content that interests you. I personally love Mashable, as well as many daily style inspiration sites. Add them to your RSS feed or bookmark bar so that you can easily visit them on a regular basis. Then share the content that you love via Twitter and Facebook, to share with others.
5. Email – I like to sign up for newsletter subscriptions for websites that really interest me in case I wasn’t able to catch their latest tweets. Although daily emails that fill up your inbox can get quite annoying, if it’s content you don’t want to miss it’s really worth it. Media Bistro sends me my daily morning newsfeed and it’s a great way to see all the top headlines related to my industry in one quick look.